Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Simple Tip #6

Simple Tip #6: Out with Old Design, In with New

If there's one thing I know from shopping for furniture with my mom, looking at prices can sometimes make you want to have a heart attack. Therefore buying new furniture isn't the best idea unless you really really really need to change it.

Sure, new furniture can change a room, but so can rearranging some things. Besides reading American Girl self-help books (Room for You was essentially the design bible to my sister and me as children), I learned a lot about rearranging from my grandmother. She had the right idea.

She had the same furniture for years, but when I was younger, every few months, she would move around all the furniture in her bedroom for a new look. She loved doing and did it all by herself. Imagine an 80 year old woman pushing a king sized bed from one end of the room to another; I respect her for that stubborn ability to do things for herself.

I follow this rule too. I haven't had new furniture in my room since I was maybe...8 or 9 years old. I've had the same bedstead, desk and dresser drawers for years. Having it in the same spot for those many years just gets boring. So, I brought in the bookcase from my sister's room, pushed my desk under the window, bed to another wall. I just didn't change the dresser's place because that thing is too damn heavy. It made all the difference!

So, to save up money, just change things around. It makes a real difference! And plus, after all the cleaning out you may have done, everything will REALLY look different and really great too.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment